Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Veggie Pot Pie

 I used the last of my carrots in this recipe.  It is adapted from a recipe by my favorite vegan chefs, Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  The recipe is actually for a seitan pot pie, which sounds amazing, but my friend's daughter has a gluten sensitivity so our dinners are usually gluten-free.  I just decided not to replace it with anything but some of our turnips (which were incredible, by the way.  The variety was Gold Ball, we ordered them from Fedco). 

This is my adapted recipe, all gluten and dairy-free with a non vegan option, if that's sometimes your thing.  If you want the actual seitan recipe, I highly recommend the Veganomicon by the above authors.  It is my new favorite go-to cookbook.  This gem has politely and without violence to living things nudged The Joy of Cooking out of my number one spot. Sorry, Joy of Cooking!

Crust:
2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (or regular)
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cold vegan shortening
1/2-3/4 cold water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Filling:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (or regular)
1 large onion, diced
4 large carrots, diced
1/2 pound of potato (your choice here--I recommend red or Yukon gold) diced
Frozen greens, chopped small (or fresh) I used a package from our freezer that I had helpfully labeled "Kale, about a bunch"
1/2 pound turnips, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup small sweet peas or corn kernels (I have only had these on hand once and have left the out the other times I've made this and it doesn't suffer too much).  
2/3 cups white wine or vegetable broth
1 1/2 vegetable broth
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp ground sage.
salt and pepper to taste
*another note here, I have found that using Bell's Seasoning in this is amazing.  It's some sort of blend of sage, rosemary, thyme and maybe oregano...anyway, it's what we New Engenders use to make stuffing magic.  It works in this. Use 1 1/2 tsp.  I also put it in veggie burger recipes to give it a meat-like remembrance).
*one more--I have also added cooked turkey to this, I just mix it in at the end before I pour it into the casserole dish.  It may make the gravy too thin, so I just add about a 1/4-1/2 cup cold water mied with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch. 


Makin' The Crust

Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.  Add the shortening in small chunks and cut into the flour with knives, a pastry cutter, or forks. Mixture should look like crumbs.

Pour 3/4 cup of the cold water into a bowl with a few ice cubes in it.  Measure out 1/2 a cup and stir the apple cider vinegar into it.  Add the Vinegar water to the dough in a few batches, mixing gently until it holds together when pinched.  Add more, if needed, a tablespoon at a time.

Gently press together into a ball and roll it out on a piece of parchment paper into a similar shape and size as the dish you will be using for your pie (I use a 9 1/2 x 11 x 2 inch Pyrex casserole dish). Slide it onto a cutting board and put some parchment over top.  Place it in your fridge until you need it. 

Preheat oven to 375

For the Filling:

Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add 3 Tbsp of oil and stir in the flour. Stir frequently and toast the flour for about 10 min.  Stir in the onion cook for 4 minutes, add the carrot, potato, turnip, and celery.  Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour the wine or broth, stirring to bring up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.  Cook for about 2 minutes to reduce a bit then stir in the peas, corn, frozen greens, extra zucchini, whatever you have lying around.  Pour in about half of the broth add spices.  Bring mixture to a simmer.  Stir in the remaining broth and bring to a simmer again.  Cook for another 10 minutes until a thin gravy has formed and the potatoes are nearly cooked.  Remove form heat, season with salt and pepper, and pour it into a casserole dish.  Top with the crust, pressing down the edges a little.  Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes until bubbly and the crust is browned.

Let cool 10 min before serving.

This thing is pretty good, let me tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment