Saturday, April 24, 2010

Breakfast Cookies



We call them "Breakfast Cookies" because you can eat them for breakfast. Seriously. There isn't anything in them that you wouldn't find in a bowl of oatmeal with a side of eggs and toast. I feel like good-cop-mom when I give these to my kids in the morning or for snack. I would heartily recommend playing up your decision to give cookies for breakfast. Act as thought you have really gone out on a limb here because you just want them to be happy.


Preheat oven to 350


Whisk Together:

1 3/4 cup white wheat flour (or all purpose)

1 tsp basking soda

3/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon


In another bowl beat together:

2 sticks unsalted butter softened

1 cup honey (if you substitute about a 1/4 cup of honey for maple syrup your cookies will be a little crispier on the outside which is nice)

2 lg. eggs

2.5 tsp vanilla


Add flour mixture to the egg and butter mixture.


combine:

1 cup raisins

3 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick, it doesn't seem to matter)

1 cup tasted or roasted unsalted sunflower seeds

1/4 cup flax (optional)


Mix raisin oat mix into the batter.


I use a baking stone, so keep an eye out if you use a cookie sheet, I'm not sure how different it would be. Spoon out a good amount, maybe three tablespoonfuls, and smush them down a bit, this helps keep them moist. Bake for about 15 minutes. They will be soft and they may try to fall apart when you take them off the baking ston or cookie sheet. Don't let them, and don't be tricked into baking them longer. When they are removed to a cooling rack they will firm right up. Promise.

(Here they are smushed down. I actually like to form them into patties like hamburgers, it keeps them form being dry and crumbly)


They should be browned along the edges. They will be soft and they may try to fall apart when you take them off the baking stone or cookie sheet. Don't let them! And don't be tricked into baking them longer. When they are removed to a cooling rack they will firm right up. Promise. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. They look so yummy!!! Mason is so excited "your going to make us cookies for breakfast?!!!") I cant wait to make them, I will let you know how they come out!
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made them and they "WERE" so yummy! I shared them with lots of people and everyone thought they were so good. Thank you again for sharing your recipe. I am going to write a post on my blog about them and link it to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Kerryanne's blog.. We made the breakfast cookies & OOOOHHHH gracious, these are delicious! We used a cookie sheet & they do still bake for 15 minutes :). Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you've both liked them... I think I'll make some today!

    ReplyDelete