Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Half-Way Stage

So here are some of my half-way done pics. It has been about a week now and the new shoots are staying down (for the most part), which is more than I expected. There is a lot of space here, and the soil is amazingly beautiful. But guess what? It's not my property. See the Fence? It belongs to the couple that live on the other side. Oh well, I still have to manage that weed because it will come on to my land. This area is a rocky ditch and because it's on the other side of the fence, it's hard for them to get to. Anyway, I am completely happy to be a crusader against this weed on any property.

Most of the information about getting rid of this weed is totally discouraging, but I have heard from (one) person that perseverance in digging them up can nearly eliminate them in a couple of years. I hope so, and I guess I'll find out because I am on a mission!

Here is the pile of root balls and stalks that I have dug up so far. It is drying out on my driveway so it can be burned. You can't really even throw this stuff away because it will just colonize somewhere else, and we really don't want it anywhere around here.

This shoot had been living out of the ground and without water for 5 days at the time the photo was taken. I went out to check them today and all the shoot have grown--yes grown--upward to catch the rays better. they will live for a while like this, amazing huh?

Some fresh interlopers.

Here is one coming up right in the middle of my beloved blood root patch! This knotweed is no more...

No comments:

Post a Comment